[Xmca-l] Re: Soviet Psychology Overview Article

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Mon Dec 7 19:40:30 PST 2015

When cultural psychology reappeared on the American radar in the early
1980's, Andy, many argued that it was a "branch of psychology." I argued
that in order for it to be fulfilled it would have to become Psychology, so
it would never happen because entrenched structures of the disciplines
would never allow one of its parts to become the the organizing whole. This
applies within existing structure of Psychology and among the humane and
biological sciences and arts would have to be re-configured.

Maybe I was wrong.  But I cannot see it happening in my life time. Time
will tell.

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 6:43 PM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> [...]
> very optimistic in that respect.
> I like the perspective for International psychology - the merging of
> universal, cultural and indigenous currents of research. Very interesting.
> Also the view that Psychology will develop along too distinct paths - the
> reductive neurophysiological and the humanistic - with Luria in a founding
> role in both! This seems a valid description, and emphasises the importance
> of promoting understanding of Luria's life.
> I have made a very modest effort to trace how Hegel's efforts in
> philosophy to create what could be conceived of as a cultural psychology
> took about 80 years before manifesting in Vygotsky's ideas. And it seems
> there is a second phase of that journey being described in this paper. A
> grand vision cannot directly translate into a global research program. It
> has to arise bit by bit.
> The characterisation of the internationalisation process as spread of
> mainstream Psychology + interest in cultural variation. I don't know about
> this one.
> I did find a couple of criticisms of Vygotsky odd, mainly that Vygotsky
> did not give a prominent place to *collaboration* in his psychology (while
> Piaget did) because he "took collaboration for granted" - I think this is
> an error. "Collaboration" is one of the ways  Vygotsky's ideas connected up
> with people in the West.
> The author's ideas about how research is transmitted, or taken up, are
> interesting too. That theories are appropriated piecemeal and put to work
> in the research project which is doing the appropriation.
> The three reasons why Vygotsky's school "failed" to win over to an
> international psychology: (1) stalinist repression (2) lack of attention to
> experimental research and the careful documenting of their protocol - seem
> reasonable, though I think the ideological gap and the uniqueness in time
> and place of the conditions of the revolutionary ferment which gave birth
> the CHAT ought to be mentioned too. The author instead refers to
> "overemphasis on theory".
> Wonderfully comprehensive review of the development of international
> psychology!
> Thanks for that Mike (and for your contributions as document in the
> chapter!)
> Andy
> *Andy Blunden*
> http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/
> On 8/12/2015 4:45 AM, mike cole wrote:
>
>> Yes, Huw.  I found that odd too. Perhaps it is the date? I also posted it
>> on a Russian site. It will be interesting to see what they have to say.
>>
>> Yes, Larry, that is an amazing archive. I did not have time to peruse it.
>>
>> mike
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Lplarry <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Mike,
>>> The entire edited volume seems a treasure trove of tracing the formation
>>> and dissemination of knowledge(s) moving through time. A profound work of

>>> for the globalization of psychology. In the 1920s–1930s, a group of