[Xmca-l] Re: Imagination or Fantasy (Vedanta)

Ed Wall ewall@umich.edu
Mon Dec 7 18:55:47 PST 2015

Annalisa

        I added the above at, more less, Mike’s request; however, you might feel that it doesn’t fit.

        What I think I said was "knowledge is true only when it is acceptable in the light of each of these six systems.” I don’t take that to mean they all agree in some absolute fashion. Perhaps the recent discussion might be an example: A number of people including yourself have expressed opinions that differ in certain respects, but point toward something. Further, as far as Western philosophy goes two major traditions: analytical philosophy and continental philosophy do have, as Tugendhat has argued, more places of commonality than is often admitted.
          Science is a little more complicated because of the culture of falsification; however, acceptance (and scale complicates things) is often taken as an indication of a truth of sorts. Anyway, I agree that philosophy is a Western word and knowledge is a complicated word which I try not to use except in quotes (smile).

Ed