[Xmca-l] Re: Imagination or Fantasy

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 17:02:14 PST 2015

I will add this reflection (itself) is a tradition.
Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: "HENRY SHONERD" <hshonerd@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎2015-‎12-‎07 4:01 PM
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Imagination or Fantasy

Annalis,
I think the following from your post relates to something that I have been thinking about imagination and fantasy since Ed Wall started the thread:

“...the mind can "as-if" overlap onto the world. I'd say this is imagination. It could also be fantasy, but that seems to have a different affective stance than imagination. Imagination still possesses that self-awareness that it is imagined. Fantasy seems to not have that in its extreme manifestation, thereby taking what is imagined in place of the external world.”

For me fantasy lacks grounding. Ed Wall quoted Vygotsky:

> “It is characteristic for imagination that it does not stop at this path, that for it, the abstract is only an intermediate link, only a stage on the path of development, only a pass in the process of its movement to the concrete. From our point of view, imagination is a transforming, creative activity directed from a given concrete toward a new concrete.”

It seems to me that Imagination gets back to a new concrete and that fantasy does not, because, as you say, it takes “what is imagined in place of the real world”.

I think this can apply to both individuals and groups. And I wonder if it would be valid to take another concept from the “Vedic paradigm” that you reference, and that is the idea of “mara”, a state of mind that takes illusion for reality.

I have attached an RFP that I have had on my desktop for over a year that offers grants for  “…for research and interventions projects on the measurement and improvement of imagination.” The diagram at the end of the RFP, and the overall tone of the RFP, seems to me to be infused with the commodification that you highlight in your post. Tellingly, “representation” is a term constantly used in the RFP. It also seems fair to say that the RFP construes imaginative and creative mind work as individual work, rather than something that needs involvement in collaborative projects.

To me, this idea of measuring the habits, shall we say, of individuals has as much chance of creatively addressing problems of the world as current efforts to improve education by testing our way to the top. It’s mara, or so it seems to me.

Henry