[Xmca-l] Re: Imagination or Fantasy

Haydi Zulfei haydizulfei@rocketmail.com
Mon Dec 7 00:34:00 PST 2015

But all the words and all the
 pictures in the world will not efface the
 role of imagination in human experience.

Mike ,

In your previous posts , you said of goal-oriented joint activity which presupposes the existence of the "ideal" and we also have the example of the best of the bees and the worst of the architects to the effect that the architect has the plan of the building in his imagination before the building has been erected and we additionally have the above saying of yours . To what extent is there an overlap ? Is there a matter of will and conscious awareness in one but not in the other ?

Best

Haydi

On Mon, 12/7/15, mike cole <mcole@ucsd.edu> wrote:

 Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Imagination or Fantasy
 To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
 Date: Monday, December 7, 2015, 4:35 AM

 Larry. Precisely the
 following point seems an important one to me.

 *My question
 is if (representation) looses a felt quality that
 (imaging)
 embodied  and expressed as moving
 (into the image) better captures.*

 I think the answer is generally *yes.*

 I venture that what is left
 has lost some of its affective charge when "in
 motion." Perhaps the loss of affect is
 indexed by the fact that
 representational
 theories of mind tend strongly to be cognitive theories.
 In moving from a process into a product, from
 verbs to nouns, the prior
 fusion of affect
 and cognition are effaced.

 However, to leave at "all is flux" is
 not awfully useful. So, as I
 understand
 it,  entifying, classifying, experimenting with the flow
 of
 experience seem to be essential to the
 cultural mode of thought, as
 characterized
 for example by LSV. Spoken words and more generally
 spoken
 discourse is are saturated with past
 cultural products constituting the
 present
 culturally mediated experience of the present.

 But all the words and all the
 pictures in the world will not efface the
 role of imagination in human experience.

 lots to think about
 mike

 On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at
 12:53 PM, Lplarry <lpscholar2@gmail.com>
 wrote:

 > Ed,
 > In mike's editorial notes introducing
 Suvorov's article mike focuses and

 draws our attention to a (gap) in American cognitive
 psychology. This gap
 > results in a
 difficulty in translation of the term vo-obraz-zhenie.
 > The suffix (zhenie) shifts the meaning
 (into-image) to (imaging) as

 process.
 > Mike made a decision. Since he
 was addressing an American audience he left
 > this meaning (imaging) to one side and
 replaced (imaging) with a substitute

 word (representation).
 > I am now drawing
 attention to why American cognitive psychology is better
 > able to understand and relate to
 (representation) than (imaging)?
 suspect it is because of cultural historical circumstances
 that
 > denigrated (imaging).
 > I am returning to vo-obraz-zenhie and
 trying to honour (imaging) as

 expressing qualities that include the sensory experience but
 add other
 > characteristics.
 > Suvorov beliefs the fundamental act of
 cognition is the (stepping back)
 > from
 the world, which WHEN RECOMBINED with original sensation,
 yields
 > thought.
 > So
 the place of (imaging) and mike's decision to replace
 with the word
 > (representation) has a
 narrative to tell.
 > My question is if
 (representation) looses a felt quality that (imaging)
 > embodied  and expressed as moving (into
 the image) better captures.

 Presentation and (re)presentation may be resting on this
 (imaging) that
 > has a (felt) quality.
 The movement of referring, indicating as
 > intentionally denotative presentational
 gestures may  rest in a more

 primordial moment of (felt) moving within the image.
 > To say that the mom and infant move
 mutually and call this process
 > activity
 (shared actions) is not questioned.
 > My
 question is if this activity is (imaginal) at this felt
 level of mutual
 > synchronization (always
 marked but never identical) prior to being
 > (presented).
 > Are
 there qualities of vo-obraz-zenhie that (imaging) images
 better than