[Xmca-l] Re: Oliver Sacks/Romantic Science

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 31 20:32:12 PDT 2015

​It might be helpful to this discussion if someone would post the chapter
on Romantic Science from Luria's autobiography which MUST be somewhere
public in pdf. It appears that I do not have one.

After reading what the person said, then discussion of the ideas seems
appropriate. Ditto Sacks, who has written a couple of extended essay's on
his view of Romantic Science.

It is true that the Russian psychologists, erudite as they were, were not
sociologists. Nor were they anthropologists. The nature of their enterprise
encompassed those fields and more.

Doing Romantic Science and immersing oneself in the individual case in no
way excludes inclusion of sociology, anthropology, in their work. Nor does
Luria argue so.

mike
​