[Xmca-l] Re: CHAT and Government Land use decision making

Jose W. Melendez jwmuic@gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 08:22:43 PDT 2015

Hi Gary,

It is good to hear that there are other's beginning to pay attention to
public spaces and theorize how a CHAT approach can afford a framing of the
activity happening in them.

I am a doctoral candidate in the Learning Sciences with a co-discipline in
Urban Planning and Policy at the University of Illinois, Chicago. My
research focus is on how people learn in democratic activity. My research
uses a Cultural Historical Activity Theory framework to analyze
participatory planning processes as learning environments. The specific
phenomenon of my dissertation is the Participatory Budgeting Process in
Chicago's 49th Ward.

When conducting my literature review there were indeed very few references
of others using a CHAT framework in participatory planning processes. The
following are individuals who have begun to to do so in a variety of ways
and environments: Rogers Hall, Moira Zellner, Charles Hoch, Katherine
Headrick Taylor, and Leilah Lyons, C. Hanny, K. O'Connor. K Quick and M.
Feldman from the planning field have begun to use communities of practice
framework to understand participation in these environments. There is also
a dissertation by Raine Mäntysalo that Engeström shared with me. Besides
these, you have to be creative in your literature review searches and
framing.

You can contact me to discuss further if you wish and I wish you best of
luck.

*José W. Meléndez, M.Ed.*
University of Illinois @ Chicago (UIC)
Doctoral Candidate in the Learning Sciences
& Research Assistant at the
Learning Sciences Research Institute (LSRI) <http://www.lsri.uic.edu/>
Email: jwmuic@gmail.com