[Xmca-l] Re: Paul Mason's comment on how ebooks are changing writing

Lubomir Savov Popov lspopov@bgsu.edu
Mon Aug 10 08:42:44 PDT 2015

Hello everyone,

I don't see a big problem here. Book writing and publishing follows the history of film-making. Movies used to be pieces of art, just like theater plays. See what TV and commercialization by Hollywood did to the art of filmmaking. If you commercialize something, you have to play to the market, vast masses of people, semi-educated and not educated. So, authors start catering to them. We have had such books for decades -- the "paperbacks." The good news is that even reading such simplistic and simplified fiction is better than watching crime stories on TV. Still a step forward. The written word pushes the imagination, people develop their ability to imagine, to reconstruct images, to experience, to think abstractly. The TV/film industry offer everything ready and flowing in images, no need to make an effort, just use our prehistoric instincts and skills. Thinking with words is still better than thinking with images. Just a few thoughts. You can correct me for the details.

Best wishes,

Lubomir

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces+lspopov=bgsu.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces+lspopov=bgsu.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Lplarry
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2015 11:03 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Paul Mason's comment on how ebooks are changing writing

Paul Mason points up one relation that causes wonder?

Novels that are memorable are "immersive" experiences (in Dewey's sense of undergoing experience.

Today (contempory) types or kinds of reading are more "provisional"

Annalisa, this linking to our lives becoming more "provisional" (less depth and lived more on the surface) is a phenomena that Dewey would explain as the stream of experiences not becoming "ordered" or "structured" as "having AN experience".

The loss of memorable experiences when living within the ongoing flow of experiences (the stream of appearances) when we don't pause to incorporate the corpus as embodied "meaning" that has been lived through in depth.
The metaphor of depth/surface as a way of locating ourselves in "spaces OF ....?
Not space as geometric but space as places OF (upon which) meaning "forms".

I wonder if the phenomena Paul Mason is reflecting on is an aspect of what Dewey more generally is exploring with his notion of "experiences" be/coming having "an" immersive experience that is "lived-in" and so not "provisional".

Is life be/coming more "provisional" and therefore less "meaningful"?

Larry