[Xmca-l] Re: Hiroshima and us

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:51:10 PDT 2015

Mike, Rafi and Francine:

Thank you. This from the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/06/world/asia/witnesses-to-hiroshima-atomic-bomb-pass-their-stories-to-a-new-generation.html?emc=edit_th_20150806&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=63154245 <http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/06/world/asia/witnesses-to-hiroshima-atomic-bomb-pass-their-stories-to-a-new-generation.html?emc=edit_th_20150806&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=63154245>

The article profiles the commemoration of the victims of Hiroshima, but there are two “background” issues mentioned that are worth thinking on:
1)  the efforts at remilitarization of Japan under the leadership of prime minister Shinzo Abe, something that must give pause in light of the the “Asian holocaust”, and
2) the fact that the memory of Hiroshima is fading even among Japanese.
Shinzo Abe is probably counting on voters knowing even less about the rape of Nanking and the rest of what Japan did before Hiroshima.

This CHAT is a constant reminder that we forget our history at our peril, especially the history that puts us in a bad light.

Henry