[Xmca-l] Aeon article - School of Failure

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Mon Apr 27 10:27:56 PDT 2015

Hi Everyone,

This arrived in my in box today, thought I'd share:

http://aeon.co/magazine/society/how-african-americans-get-schooled-for-failure/<http://aeon.co/magazine/society/how-african-americans-get-schooled-for-failure/?utm_source=Aeon+newsletter&utm_campaign=02111b1de0-Daily_newsletter_April_274_27_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-02111b1de0-68662025>

by D. Watkins

(4,000 words)

an excerpt:

'There's a myth floating around that education is white culture, books are white culture,' said Eric Rice, an expert in urban education, when I went to visit him at the Johns Hopkins University School of Education this year. 'But African Americans have a long history of wanting education. The South had laws against teaching slaves to read, and people risked beatings and death trying to learn to read during slavery. There has always been a huge demand.'?

My apologies for list members on lchc for my double posting.

Kind regards,

Annalisa