[Xmca-l] Re: The Ego and the Interpersonality

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 11:33:18 PDT 2015

David,
I agree that repair in Hamlet seems to be reduced to vengeance.

Like you, as an educator, I am most interested in how we can use dialog and narrative for learning. Yet, I have almost given up thinking I know what is to be done, for example in the case of the Opt-out of standardized testing movement. I was asked, as part of my job as as sub at a local charter school, to help monitor the standardized testing. I was told that unless a certain percentage of the total student body actually took the test, the school would be docked over $100,000, a considerable portion of their budget. I said I was not comfortable monitoring the testing and did not come to school during those days. I dearly hope the budget is not compromised, yet realize my action couldn’t help avoid such a crunch. Is this in any way relevant to the discussion?

I get the NY Times on line and am amazed at several videos that offer much more dramatic instances of things not being right in the world and efforts to repair it.

Here is an instance from Tehran, literally an eye for an eye:

http://www.nytimes.com/video/world/middleeast/100000003561995/an-eye-for-an-eye.html?emc=edit_th_20150422&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=63154245 <http://www.nytimes.com/video/world/middleeast/100000003561995/an-eye-for-an-eye.html?emc=edit_th_20150422&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=63154245>

Here’s another example from Germany, the case of a former SS member tried for war crimes at a Nazi death camp during WWII:

http://www.nytimes.com/video/world/europe/100000003640573/survivors-on-ex-auschwitz-guards-trial.html?action=click&gtype=vhs&version=vhs-heading&module=vhs&region=title-area <http://www.nytimes.com/video/world/europe/100000003640573/survivors-on-ex-auschwitz-guards-trial.html?action=click&gtype=vhs&version=vhs-heading&module=vhs&region=title-area>

The second case comes closer to true repair, which I associate with distributive justice. In the first case (Tehran)  there is no possibility for forgiveness, reconciliation, since there is no sense of true repentance. In the second there is repentance and forgiveness.

I’ll end by repeating that you are absolutely right that there is very little repair in Hamlet. In fact, none of Shakespeare's tragedies provide that. (But we have his comedies where undertstanding and reconciliation happen, rather than vengeance.) But I am left with Arjuna, the ghost of Hamlet’s father (in Peter Brook’s version), to “Not Taint” his mind. No wonder your students were confused! Should they see Hamlet as a bull in a china shop, or as breaking eggs to make an omelet?

Henry