[Xmca-l] Fwd: "Why the 'Opt-Out Movement' for High Stakes Testing is Bad for Students in Urban Public Schools" by Stuart Rhoden

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 6 14:34:27 PDT 2015

Fyi for those who have pointed to this issue.
Mike

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Cueponcaxochitl D. Moreno Sandoval* <equityalliance@asu.edu>
Date: Monday, April 6, 2015
Subject: "Why the 'Opt-Out Movement' for High Stakes Testing is Bad for
Students in Urban Public Schools" by Stuart Rhoden
To: "mcole@weber.ucsd.edu" <mcole@weber.ucsd.edu>

* The Newest Blog From*

*the Equity Alliance!*

*     "Why the 'Opt-Out Movement' for High Stakes Testing is Bad for
Students in Urban Public Schools"*

*by *

*Stuart Rhoden*

 In the past three or four years, there has been a grassroots movement
across the country created by some progressive educational groups
surrounding students "Opting out” of mandatory high-stakes state test.  My
opinion of this is that it is a copout. Until we change the system at
broader systemic levels, we are not adequately preparing our students to
succeed if we tell them they can opt-out of assessments along the way. This
goes well beyond the “work harder/smarter” or “bootstraps” mentality that
is often cited as code for structural inequality, but rather my perspective
stems from an insistence that students can shine in an inequitable system
as it is currently constructed. What is equally important is that as the
adults; including educators, policy makers and researchers, need to
consider more appropriate ways to analyze positive academic achievement, as
well as strive towards creating more accurate measure of student
achievement. Want to learn more?  Click here
<http://www.niusileadscape.org/bl/?p=1904> to read and comment on Stuart's
blog!

*Stuart Rhoden, Ph.D. is originally from Chicago, IL. He has been in
education for over 15 years. He worked in Washington D.C. and Chicago on
education policy and advocacy. He also was a high school teacher in Chicago
and Los Angeles for a number of years. For the past five years, he has been
a lecturer teaching on issues of culture and diversity, education policy,
education philosophy and youth cultures in colleges both in Philadelphia
and Phoenix. He currently lives in Phoenix, AZ.*

*Join the conversation here!* <http://www.niusileadscape.org/bl/?p=1904>

 <http://www.equityallianceatasu.org/>

Also, check out our *Advancing the Conversation *video commentary with

*Professor Pedro Noguera*

reframing

*"The Color of Discipline,"* *HERE!* <https://vimeo.com/equityalliance>

If you are interested in joining this important work by submitting a blog,
please contact us by email
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','Lorena.Quinones@asu.edu');>.

The opinions of our guest bloggers don’t necessarily reflect the views of
the Equity Alliance, but they do raise important questions about
educational equity. We invite participation and the exchange of ideas with
these blogs.

 <http://equityallianceatasu.org/>

 This message was sent to mcole@weber.ucsd.edu
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','mcole@weber.ucsd.edu');> from:

Cueponcaxochitl D. Moreno Sandoval | equityalliance@asu.edu
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','equityalliance@asu.edu');> | Equity Alliance
at ASU | PO Box 876103 | Tempe, AZ 85287

Email Marketing by [image: iContact - Try It Free!]
<http://www.icontact.com/a.pl/144186>
  Unsubscribe
<http://app.icontact.com/icp/mmail-mprofile.pl?r=98402260&l=26820&s=MLLQ&m=813350&c=954376>

--
"Each new level of development is a new relevant context." C.H. Waddington