[Xmca-l] Re: The history of science fiction and imagined worlds

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 16:48:31 PDT 2014

Greg,
I encourage you to follow Mike's lead on *recombination* as the mediating
process of separating and reconnecting firstness. Mike's concept of the
*gap* and the question of what is happening within the gap also seems
important.

I have been reflecting on Peirce's secondness that posits *resistance*
[constraints] as also KEY to firstness and thirdness.

I wonder if  whenever we develop *theory* and *models* firstness is engaged
through secondness [what goes BEYOND [excess] to *all* theory*?

Grokking as a phenomena but also secondness and our way to groke firstness
and secondness as *significant signs*
Peirce also explored *sign phenomena* and suggested EVERY SIGN INCLUDES,
iconic, indexical, and symbolic significations. Not as discrete but as
simultaneous and never in pure forms. The same sign phenomena can be
reflected from the *angle* of iconic [pictures, images, resemblance] AND
indexical [pointing or *gesturing* to the PARTICULAR UNIQUE CASE] AND
symbolic [pointing or indicating the significance BEYOND the particular
towards the *general*.
What seems KEY is Peirce suggests all signs INCLUDE all three categories of
signification SIMULTANEOUSLY.
We can focus on one or the other *angle* of sign phenomena as more
significant [while the other aspects recede into the background] but all
three aspects are always *present* in ALL indicating actions.

To return to the exploration of *recombination* and *mediation* is it
possible to consider mediating phenomena as simultaneously iconic indexical
and symbolic.
Then the indicating *this* or *that* CASE becomes indexical and unique
examples recombined. The same phenomena can be considered iconic *This*
resembles *that* as recombination.
However from another angle this same phenomena can be significant of
*general* recombining interpretations. For example the separating from the
*field* and recombining as an example of a general aspect of human *nature*

Greg, I want to encourage you to follow your *hunch* and go further with
this loose thread of an *idea* exploring phenomena as recombinations as the
biological person *perceives* the encompassing surround [field, clearing
horizon]
Larry