[Xmca-l] Re: in the eye of the beholder

Henry G. Shonerd III hshonerd@gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 11:50:33 PDT 2014

Amazing dialog! What I have gotten out of it, with due regard to my encyclopedic ignorance: 1) I liked the Sandra Harry reference on perspectives. Langacker devotes considerable ink to "construal" in grammatical analysis. 2) The comment on linguistic vs. imagistic construals, i.e. multimodal, is very useful to me,  and lacking in mainstream linguistics, 3) I think I must be a Humian: I don't think causality can be demonstrated. So maybe science isn't about truth at all, but rather collective skepticism and humility. (Scientists used to know that queers were weird. Well, maybe WEIRDs are queer, not normal.) The consequences are global and frightening, but the models of what is causing climate change are not truth, they are models. The question is what predictions we can make using those models and what predictions we can make (again, using models) about any measures we might take to avert disaster predicted by the models. And I suspect that scientists can not win the public relations battle by claiming truth. The "doubts" of climate change deniers, ironically, are part of skeptical science, not some discovery of a massive conspiracy. 4) Asbestos is more like tobacco than climate change. The (and X-rays) predictions of what happens when you go into the mine, or smoke, are convincing to practically anyone, though that hasn't always been the case. 5) Truth, for me, is about sticking with life projects despite lack of easy certainty, which is why I like the inclusion of hope in the chat. And I like the idea that it's all a creative work in progress. And I think this XMA/XMCA dialogic project gives ME hope! I know my construals may be lacking in coherence, but I respect and trust this community to help me get it right. Good old ZPD!
Henry