[Xmca-l] Re: in the eye of the beholder

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Sep 22 08:38:38 PDT 2014

There is such a thing as objective truth, David. The claim that asbestos
kills, once established, is extremely robust. And it is not just a
statistical correlation, microscopic examination of lung tissue can
prove it. I sort of agree with what you say, David, but relativism is
also relative. The test of objectivity is the "robustness" of the claim,
its capacity to withstand sceptical criticism. Up to a point, the
asbestos companies were able to use the tactics - just like the tobacco
industry and the climate deniers - such as putting contrary information,
supported by those posing as scientists, into the public domain to
create the illusion of a "debate", and buying off or intimidating those
who spoke the truth. But in the end the case against them became so
strong that the only way the truth that asbestos kills can now be
undermined is by some kind of "higher truth" which sublates the
irrefutable truth of medical science. Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/