[Xmca-l] Re: Foucault

Henry G. Shonerd III hshonerd@gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 15:32:48 PDT 2014

Mike,
Hopeful? Best of times, worst of times. I know what you are saying that schools aren't the solution, they're the problem. But I work in two charter schools where I want to give it a chance, if only as a substitute teacher. One has as its focus service learning, the other the education of Native Americans in an urban setting. I hope they are different from the New Orleans charters that Katherine gave us links to. (The links worked!) After 25 years of telling other people how to do it, I am seeing if I can stand the heat again. As a high school teacher on the Navajo Reservation before that, I had one good year (my first year) when I could do pretty much what I wanted, and the rest of the time I got tons of programmed learning materials (Random House) and lost my way. I admit it: I lacked the imagination to deal creatively with the problem. As a teacher educator, I tried to , but always felt inauthentic, even when I was, passionate. Karma: my bad conscience and a need to get it right, which is why I am in this dialog and why I am subbing. Add to that my rage against the American way of aging and dying. At my age (71), I have good reason to be terrified. There oughta be a law.
Henry