[Xmca-l] Re: Spinoza on xmca

peter jones h2cmng@yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 17 17:18:52 PDT 2014

Mike

As I mentioned/ref. not my words.
Communication-transmission is a model, one of several means of explanation. Considered within the conceptual framework - Hodges' model - Shannon and Weaver's entropy, noise, measures of information is mechanistic. Hodges' model is of course idealised.

There are times when such a model 'fits' (correspondence as truth?) as in hearing - the inner ear - communication-conduction as transmission.

Other occasions such as I encountered yesterday (now). In a care home, a man agitated was pulling and banging on a locked inner corridor door seeking to leave (it is in his best interests to stay). The door was shaking to the extent that walking outside to speak to staff, an open loose window outside in the inner (secure) garden was moving to-and-fro. The inner door noise was just audible outside. Ironically(?) the window was not banging it was silent and yet it signified - transmitted - distress elsewhere?

Is there a sense that what we seek is a Goethean view of humanities-sciences(reality)?The debate (centuries and more long) is an ambiguous image or reversible figure and yet if we were delivered of this Goethean view then we could see both simultaneously - the whole?

Elsewhere - Jones, P. (1996) Humans, Information, and Science, Journal of Advanced Nursing, 24(3),591-598

I tried to relate information, the mechanistic (Shannon & Weaver, and Dretske) to more humanistic concerns of mental health and meaning.

I will look up the sources you have mentioned and thank you for the related points.
I wish I had time to read more and in depth...

Peter Jones
Lancashire, UK
Blogging at "Welcome to the QUAD"
http://hodges-model.blogspot.com/
Hodges Health Career - Care Domains - Model
http://www.p-jones.demon.co.uk/
h2cm: help 2C more - help 2 listen - help 2 care
http://twitter.com/h2cm