[Xmca-l] Re: Foucault

Rod Parker-Rees R.Parker-Rees@plymouth.ac.uk
Wed Sep 17 00:32:49 PDT 2014

Xmca in a nutshell! Except here we can't notice pauses, heightened intensity or relaxed easiness nor can we pick up (easily) on the reactions of others as things are said - and people are joining in from different timezones and leaving at various times to eat, sleep or earn! But surely this joining in is the most crucial aspect of becoming part of human society (and it is a bit weird that we think the best way to help people into the conversation is to take them out of the room and tell them about how it is done!).

Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: 17 September 2014 04:24
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Foucault

Kenneth Burke:

“Imagine that you enter a parlor. You come late. When you arrive, others have long preceded you, and they are engaged in a heated discussion, too heated for them to pause and tell you exactly what it is about. In fact, the discussion had already begun long before any of them got there, so that no one present is qualified to retrace for you all the steps that had gone before.
You listen for a while, until you decide that you have caught the tenor of the argument; then you put in your oar. Someone answers; you answer him; another comes to your defense; another aligns himself against you, to either the embarrassment or gratification of your opponent, depending on the quality of your ally’s assistance. However, the discussion is interminable. The hour grows late, you must depart. And you do depart, with the discussion still vigorously in progress.”

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 6:53 PM, White, Phillip <Phillip.White@ucdenver.edu>
wrote:

> as you write, Martin, yes, they had similar descriptions of their work
>
> "Foucault came to describe his work overall as a "historical ontology
> of ourselves." Certainly both Sartre and Merleau-Ponty were
> philosophers on ontology, and of history."
>
> the difference is, i believe, that Foucault identified with those
> peoples who have been marginalized: prisoners, those deemed mentally
> ill, and homosexuals.  he said that his writings were autobiography.
> and i've come to understand my own work as a way of autobiography.
> i've begun to think of theory as a way of autobiography.
>
> i believe that i recognize a great deal of autobiography performed
> here on xmca - just as one sees autobiography performed at a cocktail party.
> (that's a great metaphor!)

Development and Evolution are both ... "processes of construction and re- construction in which heterogeneous resources are contingently but more or less reliably reassembled for each life cycle." [Oyama, Griffiths, and Gray, 2001]
[http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>