[Xmca-l] Foucault

White, Phillip Phillip.White@ucdenver.edu
Tue Sep 16 15:56:02 PDT 2014

Michel Foucault would not recognize the assertion that he carried forth Maurice Merleau-Ponty's philosophy  -  case in point, the philosopher who most deeply impressed Foucault was Jean Hyppolite. it was to Hyppolite that Foucault never ceased to acknowledge his debt.  as for the influences on Butler, i can't tell.  however, following sociocultural learning theory, since we're not behaviorist we don't view the student as replicating the instruction of the teacher, but rather as one of collaboration, approximations, and often an individual or shared innovation.

phillip