[Xmca-l] Re: CHAT Discourse

David H Kirshner dkirsh@lsu.edu
Tue Sep 16 07:37:18 PDT 2014

Andy,

I think you've framed the question well, and I agree it would be good to bring it to the list, so I'm posting our brief off-line exchange.

David

______________________
Andy said:

I think the substantive and interesting question you raise here is:

    Has CHAT theorizing has advanced over the years as a result of
    insights of the form of empirical observations, or, as a result of
    critique of concepts?

I don't know if I have enough of an overview of the history of CHAT to answer this. It would be good to keep it on the list because Mike Cole probably could answer authoritatively. My guess is that there have been occasional problems which have arisen and become subjects of wide discussion, particularly in the domain of education, and these have stimulated theoretical advance. But I really don't know.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/

David H Kirshner wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: David H Kirshner
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:00 AM
To: 'ablunden@mira.net'
Subject: RE: [Xmca-l] Re: CHAT Discourse

Hi Andy,

Thanks for sending these papers. I look forward to reading them.
My point isn't that empirical evidence CAN'T inform theory, but that's not the usual vehicle whereby theory is advanced.
You're much more aware of this literature than me. Do you disagree with the generalization that empirical work in CHAT/sociocultural is of an applied nature, notwithstanding occasional cases in which data are used to establish a theoretical position? Note that your observation about the relative lack of sophistication of cognitive theorization of concepts is kind of a celebration of that fact that CHAT/sociocultural theorizing is informed primarily by a theoretical/philosophical discourse, rather than one that is rooted in empirical evidence. So the question isn't a normative one--how should CHAT/sociocultural theory advance--but a description one--how does it advance.

I should add that the problem with cognitive theorizing, as I see it, isn't only that it progresses slowly, but that it is fundamentally limited by its starting assumptions. The fundamental constructs of cognitive psychology come from the analogy of the serial digital computer to the human information processing system. I don't think that ever gets challenged within that paradigm.

David