[Xmca-l] Re: Nate's new webpage on Vygotsky

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 19:07:21 PDT 2014

Michael,

I was shooting for something a little simpler than what Lynda has
suggested. By arguing for "mediated" reflexes, I was simply pointing to the
fact that (ap?)perception is mediated. We do not immediately perceive the
world in all its fullness. Our eyes, nerves, and brains do a ton of the
work for us and in ways that are unique to humans. Just ask a bat:
http://organizations.utep.edu/portals/1475/nagel_bat.pdf
or just about any other animal out there and you'll quickly see that we
reflexively inhabit a very peculiarly constructed world.

Similarly, the child's world is already mediated for them and so to say
that a child is in the world in an unmediated fashion seems unlikely.

But how this fits with Andy's idea of artefact-mediation, I'm not sure. Is
the human nervous system an artefact (it is very tool-like in the way that
it chops up the world for us). Or is the mediation by our senses something
different from artefact-mediation? I'll throw that one back to Andy.
-greg

Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology