[Xmca-l] Re: mediate perception and direct perception

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sun Sep 14 09:02:29 PDT 2014

My apologies for attaching more than the two pages on "mediation" by
Williams last night. Trying to learn to get control of acrobat.The attached
etymological discussion is less than two pages long.

As a supplement to the Williams, two uses of the term in the OED might also
be constructive.

All of this supports Andy's suggestions for great specification of what
sort of mediation one is referring to.
-----------
OED
*2.*
Thesaurus »

 *a.* Agency or action as an intermediary; the state or fact of serving as
an intermediate agent, a means of action, or a medium of transmission;
instrumentality.
*c*1425   Lydgate *Troyyes Bk.* (Augustus A.iv) iv. 162   How I
be-stat..Wolde in no maner never occupie By oþer title þan fre elleccioun,
Nat interrupt by mediacioun of procage [*read* brocage] roted vp-on mede.
*a*1450  (▸1391)    Chaucer *Treat. Astrolabe* Introd. 12   By mediacioun
of this litel tretys, I purpose to teche the a certein nombre of
conclusions.
*a*1513   J. Irland *Meroure of Wyssdome* (1965) II. 70   The sone wyrkis
nocht his operacioun bot be the mediacioun of the causis particular and
inferior.
1560   J. Daus tr. J. Sleidane *Commentaries* f. xxj,   His fellowes at
home..wrot to Lewis the Frenche kinge, by the mediation of Erarde Marchiaue
Byshoppe of Liege.
1615   G. Sandys *Relation of Journey* 168   Not to be touched but by the
mediation of a sticke prepared for the purpose.
1646   H. Lawrence *Of Communion & Warre with Angels* 38   The
understanding receives things by the mediation, first of the externall
sences, then of the fancy.
1648   in S. R. Gardiner *Hamilton Papers* (1880) 205,   I intend to
corresponde with you by her mediation.
1682   N. Grew *Of Mixture* i. v. §5 in *Anat. Plants* 232   To mix them by
mediation of some third..Body, which may be congruous in part to them both.
1710   J. Norris *Treat. Christian Prudence* iii. 135   By the Will those
Motions or Operations (Imperate Acts as they are call'd) which are
performed by the mediation of the Body.
1796   E. Burke *Lett. Peace Regic. France* i, in *Wks.* (1808) VIII. 156
To seek for peace..through the mediation of a vigorous war.
1796   R. Kirwan *Elements Mineral.* (ed. 2) II. 269   By the mediation of
nickel it will unite to Bismuth.
1860   J. Tyndall *Glaciers of Alps* i. iii. 23   Through his mediation I
secured a chamois-hunter.
1902   E. Carpenter *Civilisation* (ed. 7) ii. 70   An immaterial
mediation..would simply remove the problem out of the regions of scientific
analysis.
1988   A. Brookner *Latecomers* viii. 117   There was also in Yvette a will
to overcome that was translated, without the mediation of her mind, into
excellent bodily health.

(Hide quotations)
<http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/115665?redirectedFrom=Mediation#>

Thesaurus »
Categories »

 *b.* *Psychol.* The interposition of stages or processes between stimulus
and result, or intention and realization. Freq. *attrib.*
1912   *Amer. Jrnl. Psychol.* Jan. 102   The occurrence of associations
whose mediation does not come into consciousness in any recognizable manner
is certainly an interesting and well-attested phenomenon.
1934   H. C. Warren *Dict. Psychol.* 162/1   *Mediation*, the interposition
of one or more ideas or acts between an initial stimulus or idea and a
given end result whose genesis is under investigation.
1953   C. E. Osgood *Method & Theory Exper. Psychol.* iii. ix. 395   Short
circuiting enters into all behavior, and its most important role lies in
formation of those representational mediation processes.
1971   A. Paivio *Imagery & Verbal Processes* ix. 320   The experimental
and language-habit approach to the investigation of mediation paradigms.
1996   *Appl. Linguistics* *17* 89   One frequently finds oneself repeating
the number in one's head or aloud: this verbal mediation is necessary to
keep the declarative information alive in working memory.

--

Development and Evolution are both ... "processes of construction and re-
construction in which heterogeneous resources are contingently but more or