[Xmca-l] Re: Vygotsky, bernstein and halliday

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 17:36:43 PDT 2014

The article is listed on Joseph Foley's academia.edu page, but when
you click on it you receive a note that says it's not been uploaded
(Taylor and Francis are quite strict about copyright, although they
will usually let you upload an uncorrected proof on sharing sites).
There is a button you can click to ask the author for a personal copy,
though.

One of the puzzling things about Chapter Seven of Thinking and Speech
is that Vygotsky tells us that thought is not made up of seperable
units. If so, in what sense can verbal thinking be said to be verbal?
One way to solve this problem is to say that somehow the separable
units get "added" at the stage of inner speech. But in fact Chapter
Seven makes it very clear that this only true of the New in speech; as
far as the Given, the "semantics" of speech (presumably the addition
of word significations) lies somewhere between the plane of inner
speech and external speech.

Halliday solves this problem. There are three semantic metafunctions,
and only one of them, the ideational (that is, the logical and the
experiential), is truly compontential in its structure. The other two
metafunctions, the interpersonal and the textual, are respectively
"field-like" (with a positive pole and a negative pole) and
"wave-like" (sometimes quite literally so, since textuality has to do
with organizing the transition from Theme to New information,
something realized through the intensity of sound waves in speech).

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies