[Xmca-l] Re: Nate's new webpage on Vygotsky

Henry G. Shonerd III hshonerd@gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 22:01:58 PDT 2014

Hi David,
Thank you! I have been using the term "scaffolding" for years with student teachers. I like the idea of it being temporary, with a "turn-over and then upping the ante. All of this is Bruner, I guess, which is also why I liked the term. . Scaffolding does have the sense of being physical, but aren't all metaphors "embodied"? "Shaping" as metaphor, on the other hand, isn't so much supporting learning as it is directing it. What I like about the ZPD is that its goal is learner autonomy, so the temporary nature of scaffolding seems appropriate. "Shaping" isn't about autonomy at all. Those poor pigeons!
Henry