[Xmca-l] Re: Spinoza on xmca

Henry G. Shonerd III hshonerd@gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 18:54:02 PDT 2014

David,
Buridan's Donkey is all of us when the social discourse is so entirely dominated by consumerism. Behavioral economists are on to the paradox of choice in a consumer society with so many options, forced on us by institutional arrangements (Andy's concepts) that profile selling and profit making, rather than living a life of quality. In fact selling and making a profit are our quality of life. What a sad life for us little people. No wonder the U.S. is so low compared to the rest of the world in measurements of happiness, as scientific as most measurement  Andy's description of the "asbestos project" (which deserves the kind of status that Buridan's Ass got), overreaching bosses have finally met their match.  And Shakespeare is replete with overreaching pride. If this isn't empirical confirmation for  Spinoza, with his views on the vanity of worldliness and the fatuousness of ambition, what is? I'm with Andy: Why can't adults just be adults? Now here's where I remember one of my maxims: all criticism is projection. So, we're all freaks. But some of us take themselves so seriously. I am thinking of guys like Stalin and Hitler. It's too bad they didn't get better talk therapy.

On being a monist, what is to be done? If we're going material, we have to consider Heisenberg's principle of indeterminacy in measuring a quantum world, hence to whatever the brain is doing when thinking takes place. That doesn't mean that the quantum construal of the world is any "truer" than a Newtonian one, but it's a construal that one has to take into consideration when we engage the world. I think a dynamic systems approach to the development of cognition and action (Thelen and Smith, 1993 and 1994) blends well with a quantum world. In such a world, there is no blueprint for cognition or action available to the homunculus. There is only us human organisms engaged in a dialog with our environment, one largely created by humans, cultural. So, to engage the world, to have a life of meaning, I have no choice but to collaborate with others in good projects. From projects come narratives. A narrative of mental illness profiles the struggle with oneself: William James fought off depression on his way to a meaningful life. Baruch Spinoza's narrative profiles struggles with others in accomplishing his work. Cantor and Peirce got the double whammy, a synergy of insanity and bullying. Thanks to them, though not JUST to them, we are having this dialog. They are part of the dialog. I actually hear them talking to me. Just kidding! Maybe.

So, how did these guys do it? How else but by engaging in the life of the mind: "…a world of extraordinary richness, extending far beyond the physical reality it is grounded in." (Langacker, 2008, p. 4)? Science is truly a humanity, and from a CG perspective, and Vygotsky's I think, this monist project will always be a work in progress. Spinoza's vision is optimistic, even joyful, but not easy. Joy in motion. The dance of life. Okay, I'm insufferable.

Henry

P.S.
David,
I have heard your assertion that the enlightenment started with Spinoza from a Univ of New Mexico prof (Michael Nutkiewicz), a Spinoza scholar. In fact, it was his talk that made me love Spinoza.According to Michael, Spinoza just did it with the language of the middle ages, which you found evidence of with his use of  "deeds" among other things.

Also, David, I agree with everything you say about Krashen. In my dissertation he and Chomsky were all the rage, so I HAD to point out why I didn't take from them.