[Xmca-l] Re: Spinoza on xmca

Henry G. Shonerd III hshonerd@gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 13:48:32 PDT 2014

Mike and David,
This is seriously getting to be a club that I, like Groucho,  won't join, if it takes me as a member. I think all of this seriously evokes Andy's contention, in his notes for the upcoming presentation at the ISCAR conference (which XMCA has gotten) that, "Adults can grasp true concepts, and can change society, and a social theory has to treat adults as adults, and this is what the projects approach allows us to do. " If "adult" means the same as "serious", you can see why I have my doubts about joining the Unserious Scholar Club. On the other hand, if I can have some fun, as in the laughing warrior (forget gender stereotypes here, and dare me to talk about Jihad), then that's what I'm talking about. Incidentally, I loved Andy's notes. I could so relate it to CG. The emergent character of project realization he talks about applies very well to discourse, as you can see in the articles by Langacker I have sent out. Discourse IS a project and its outcome is typically not entirely clear in the minds of the interactants as they negotiate its waters. XMCA, of which this email is a "turn",  is a prototypical "work in progress", as Andy puts it, since we clearly don't know where this will all end up. But I hope it can be fun along the way.
Henry