[Xmca-l] Re: The Highlander Center in Tennessee

Henry G. Shonerd III hshonerd@gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 21:17:57 PDT 2014

Phillip,
Thank you very much for laying out Delpit's analysis. Other People's Children (1995), is the only thing I have read by her. I was uncomfortable about the Distar stuff, but she makes the same points you enumerate in one of the chapters, so I was confused. Not least because in my own learning of second languages I have used programmed materials. What I think is that such materials CAN help the learner, but that it can't be all there is. I got good at Spanish and other languages through massive immersion, natural language use, which the "drills" supported. And it can't be test driven. When you get discourse fluent, you KNOW you are fluent and your native-speaking interlocutors tell you so. That's what all learners need, or so I think. Math benefits from a thorough facility with the addition and multiplication "facts", but that facility supports all of the problem solving, reasoning, and communication about math that makes one "good at math". Fear of math ranks higher than fear of death I hear. I took differential calculus three time before I got the limit theorem. Bad teaching. Therein lies another narrative of power: STEM! That's not a minority issue, but it sure helps in understanding Delpit's complaint.
Henry