[Xmca-l] Re: Word and Act

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 06:36:53 PDT 2014

Haydi and Andy
Thanks for this rejoinder to the complexity of receiving Vygotsky's work in
the West.
I do wonder if it is possible to maintain the *purity* of the *whole
generation* that was engaged in exploring the *developing relation* between
the function of word and act.

I was left wondering at the meaning of the very last sentence of this 4
page PDF.

At *the end* the *functional transformation* of the relation between word
and act and the possibility of future *disintegration* [and return to
earlier forms of functioning] between the word and act.

Haydi, *in the end* THIS Vygotsky has traveled to the West and is now
transforming western notions of psychology as [genetically psycho-social
processes.
The question you raise is if in this traveling what is ESSENTIAL is lost or
corrupted?
I am left wondering about the notion of *horizons* of UNDERstanding.
When I read that Anna Stetsenko, [who in the beginning formed her ideas
within the horizon of THIS Vygotsky], indicates that the relation of
*subjectivity* AND *objectivity* continues to BE an *open* question I
wonder if THIS Vygotsky will inevitably remain Para-Doxical and be open to
multiple other interpretations?.

Haydi, your passion to return to Vygotsky's ACTUAL words [and this 4 page
PDF is an excellent example of this return] does stop us in our tracks and
gives us pause.  I myself am left to puzzle the various [multiple]
Vygotsky's [yes multiple versions or genres] OF Vygotsky's works AS
INTERPRETED.

Reading the rejoinders between Martin, Andy, and the multitude of other
participants on this site I find in ITSELF a dialectical AND dialogical
PROCESS that highlights in FACT the developing subject matter of the
functional relations between word act, AND *image*.

I do NOT know who is *right* but I trust in THIS process that opens a space
[place] to bring us together.

IN THE END *is* the beginning. This seems to be a *truth* that puts the
emphasis on a different aspect of this 4 page PDF.

Larry