[Xmca-l] Re: In defense of Vygotsky ["Sense and meaning" really means consciousness, which really means intellectualism]

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 29 17:52:54 PDT 2014

Lubomir--

A couple of comments that i put in the text in red

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Lubomir Savov Popov <lspopov@bgsu.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Annalisa,
>
> I was waiting a bit to see if someone else will chime in.
>
> If we refer to Soviet (now Russian) psychology:
> -- They prefer to talk about consciousness rather than mind.
> -- All psychological functions and states emerge in the process of human
> activity.
> --Consciousness is a major category in historical materialism and
> therefore has to be accepted as a major category by the social science
> disciplines. There are different interpretation of the concept of
> consciousness in different social science disciplines. However, they all
> had to refer to historical materialism. No one was bigger than historical
> materialism. Consciousness is also used in several ways in everyday life.
> But that is another story. The kinds of usage should not be mixed.

​At that time American psychologists could not talk about or think as
professionals about a category called consciousness.

I wrote a review of the Payne book about Rubenshtein a loooooooooooooong
time ago. I will try to find and reproduce as an artifact of one encounter
of the two ways of thinking. ​

> Also:
> --LSV was sidelined pretty early by Rubinstein. The interest in LSV
> resurfaced in the 1980s, but was not too strong. ANL and his students were
> reigning and that time.

​Here you want to be more careful. The period of ANL's ascendancy declined
after 1966 and it was Rubensteinians who gained power. Epitome of that
counter-development in the appointment of Lomov to head of Academy
Institute, to be followed by Brushlinskii. ​

> --ANL had quite of a power struggle with Rubinstein. ANL and his
> students/protégés ruled the psychology domain in the USSR at their life
> time.
> ​ An overstatement as above.​
>
> -- Almost all textbooks in psychology after 1970 were written by the ANL
> circle. After 1970 Rubinstein was not published much and maybe not at all.
> The last psychology textbook by Rubinstein that I have seen was from the
> 1960s (first edition 1940).
> -- Rubinstein was the first (if memory serves) to formulate the principle
> of the unity of consciousness and activity. However, many sources claim he
> heavily used works of LSV.

​This is really news to me. Who claimed that and did anyone believe them?​

--
It is the dilemma of psychology to deal with a natural science with an
object that creates history. Ernst Boesch.