[Xmca-l] Re: In defense of Vygotsky ["Sense and meaning" really means consciousness, which really means intellectualism]

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Tue Oct 28 17:30:46 PDT 2014

These words gained their meaning in German philosophy and subsequently
in Marx. So the reasons lie in the German language.
In German, the word for "mind" is Geist, which is usually translated as
"spirit" and is a highly polysemous word with a host of connotations
which make it difficult for social or natural science to use.
Bewusstsein, the German version of con-scio-usness, does not have these
far reaching connotations, being derived from "being in the know" and
references both psychological ideas and forms of ideology.
Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/