[Xmca-l] Re: [Xcma-l] In Defense of Vygotsky [A person's relation to the environment is intellectual]

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Oct 27 20:32:48 PDT 2014

Yes, Annalisa, it is that ANL is accusing LSV of finding branches in the
acorn, to use your metaphor, based on what I think may be a deliberate
misunderstanding of how LSV represents the specificity of the relation
of the child to the environment.
Tatania Akhutina, a Russian supporter of Vygotsky, pointed me to the
entry for "perezhivanie" in the Bolshoi Dictionary of Psychology, which
I translate as follows: "From the point of view of Vygotsky's theory,
perezhivanie can be approached like any other mental function that
develops in the ontogenesis of involuntary and immediate forms to higher
forms, having the status of actions or the activities. This approach
opens up possibilities to distinguish between several genetic forms of
perezhivanie, as well as to search for cultural-historical means of
mastering perezhivanie.”
So the kind of perezhivanie will develop as the child develops.
If I understand Vygotsky correctly, it is between the ages of 3-7 (in
his experience) that the intellect develops. Perception of the
environment mediated by signs does not in any way suggest the absence of
affective content in those signs however,

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/