[Xmca-l] Re: units of mathematics education

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Oct 27 16:53:59 PDT 2014

Thanks for that, Peg. I have read Davodov's book on Generalisation
http://www.marxists.org/archive/davydov/generalization/generalization.pdf
but I have never known exactly how his idea were implemented beyond
those germ cell operations comparing the size of objects. I lost
interest in Davydov when I saw that (in my view) he failed to understand
Vygotsky on scientific and everyday concepts.

Peg, recall that other interest of yours, in the Question Asking
Reading: http://lchc.ucsd.edu/People/NEWTECHN.pdf where you suggest that
reading is not just being able to decode a text, but in being able to
"read the world" and consequently introduce the idea of a double
mediation between the world and the child - by the text and by the
adult, with all the mediations that go along with this. It seems to me
that learning mathematics is like that as well. In the end, the child
can manage the text without reference to the world, but if we are
concerned with teaching and learning, we need a germ cell which can grow
from its roots in the world.

Marx's unit of analysis/germ cell was genetic in that sense. He started
with the exchange of commodities, and very quickly (still in chapter 1,
volume 1) shows how money arises historically as a special type of
commodity, and subsequently also how capital arises as a specific type
of commodity relation. But the essential relation was the commodity
relation.

Even though we do mathematics without natural objects, genetically, that
is the germ cell. Each topic has to begin, surely, with a situation to
be analysed until students have become at home in the world of
mathematical texts in which the world is only implicit.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/