[Xmca-l] Re: units of mathematics education

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Oct 27 16:16:48 PDT 2014

I agree that Marx's formulation in the beginning of Chapter 1 and also
in the Preface are ambiguous, but the whole drift of the work is that
value is not a property of a material artefact but of a social relation.

     "In the analysis of economic forms, moreover, neither microscopes
    nor chemical reagents are of use. The force of abstraction must
    replace both. But in bourgeois society, the commodity-form of the
    product of labour — or value-form of the commodity — is the economic
    cell-form." (Preface to First German Edition)

Marx goes to great lengths to show that there is nothing about the
commodity itself - the material object - which gives it value or human
powers. See the concluding paragraph of Chapter 1: "So far no chemist
has ever discovered exchange value either in a pearl or a diamond."

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/