[Xmca-l] Re: In defense of Vygotsky [[The fallacy of word-meaning]

Ed Wall ewall@umich.edu
Sun Oct 26 22:36:30 PDT 2014

David

      Quite frankly I am unsure what to write.

      So let me say I more or less agree with all the general points you seem to want to make and am unsure why you think I would do otherwise.

      I actually don't have a vision of reform-oriented teaching, but currently what I observe is such follow-through is productive and I seldom observe that step untaken. Since I don't consider that observation a basic premise (and we may have greatly differing ideas as to what a basic premise is), I have little qualms "undoing" it.

      I assume the last paragraph is somewhat addressed to me.  I am unsure why you are maintaining "stretching a unit of analysis across incommensurable perspectives and theorizations never answers these questions."  What unit of analysis, what stretching?  However, I would greatly appreciate it if you could name a little more precisely the structures you think I think are immanent, the incommensurables of which I am blissfully unaware, the desires I have for solidity, and the theoretical tools I think should be marshaled anew for each classroom situation.

      On the other hand if the last paragraph is a general comment, I have no qualms 'undoing' this assumption and the request for clarification as well.

      David, I recently taught teachers in NYC and I resisted involving them in 'experimental' curriculums. The bulk of my 'methods'  instruction pragmatically focused on what you term the challenge (although I think you have oversimplified) . Thus you are, regardless of what you label premise' or 'vision', singing to the choir. That is not to say, by the way, we agree on the interrelationship of theory and practice.

Ed