[Xmca-l] units of mathematics education

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Oct 26 19:25:06 PDT 2014

Ed, I can't answer your question, so I'll to revert to the other subject
line.

A few ill-informed observations on the unit of analysis.

Philip's analysis into turns is of course a Bakhtinian analysis of
classroom activity. Whatever else it may show, it is not going to tell
us anything about the formation of concepts, mathematical or other.

I agree with you, Ed., that the text-mediated teacher-student
interaction is "too big" to tell us anything about the learning of
mathematical ideas. It is a lens for shedding light on the relation
between teacher and student, which is doubtless helpful but still does
not help us understand how a child may develop mathematical insight,
only how to emulate what the teacher does, and after all, sometimes the
teacher is wrong.

Vygotsky did come to the brink of talking about this topic when he
studied the development of what he called pre-concepts, didn't he?
"Pre-Concepts," in Vygotsky's lexicon, form only in older children,
typically those who are already attending school and being confronted
with school-like tasks, or engaged in social activities including
processes such as measuring, buying and selling, calculating time, and
so on. Such activities oblige the child to use culturally transmitted
symbols of some kind (not necessarily numbers, for example coins or
measuring sticks) to carry out processes requiring the abstraction of
features from a concrete situation. And famously, Vygotsky used the
artefact-mediated action as his unit for these studies. The teacher and
the wider culture only entered the picture in the selection of the
artefact and (presumably) the setting of the task (Vygotsky glossed over
this).

In a brief off-line exchange, Ed has made me accept that mathematics, as
practised by mathematicians, is a formal science. It is actually
concerned only with sequences of symbols, not any material process
outside the text. But I still think that mathematics is a science. Even
symbols are material things. Mathematics is not merely a social
convention, and I don't believe it can be learnt if it is taught as a
formal discipline. Of course, if you believe that mathematics is just a
social convention, then decoding texts under teacher direction is the
essence of doing mathematics.

I accept that decoding word problems may be a typical way that
mathematics is taught in school, but unless we are content to simply
describe existing practices I am not satisfied that this unit, based on
decoding texts, captures how students learn mathematics. And indeed it
may obscure that.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/