[Xmca-l] Re: units of mathematics education

Ed Wall ewall@umich.edu
Sat Oct 25 11:19:57 PDT 2014

Andy

      Tanil's comment is at the end of the lesson after she together with her  peers have, in effect, given their explanations and after the teacher has used multiplication in her initial demonstration.  While your interpretation is possible, an reasonable alternate interpretation would be Tanil is indeed aware that multiplication is a possibility, but so is repeated subtraction (however, she may not realize the mathematical equivalence: i.e. -.80 - .80 - .80 -.80 -.80 -.80 = -4.80 for obvious reasons). Multiplication, by the way, is not necessarily part of the pattern I was pointing at.

      I think the teacher has both the processes you mention in mind. However, there is a sense in which the work of abstracting (although they are not 'abstracting', but making 'concrete')  is presented as decoding and the work of manipulating is presented as filling in a template. I don't necessarily have a problem with 'making sense' being 'do what I do' (i.e. there is a place for mimesis in teaching/learning), but again I would want to complicate such a lesson for a teacher who so argued. I think you said something about the social practice of mathematics evolving. It might be difficult to participate 'socially' in such evolution in such a classroom. Perhaps a story will help convey what I am pointing at: A number of years ago I was teaching a somewhat advanced mathematics class. One of my students was failing and he complained, "You never give the same problems for homework! In my other classes we always had a lot of practice and once I learned how to do a problem I got good grades." I explained to him that while each one of a particular set of problems looked textually different, they all referenced a pattern we had recently discussed in class. Yes, seeing patterns is difficult for a novice, but that is true in any field. However with the appropriate experiences there is the possibility of one 'evolving' to later stages of expertise.

      If you are asking about my focus. I have both of your processes in mind (although conceptualized a bit differently - see 'abstraction' above) and quite a bit more. However, I want to emphasize I am not engaging in the paper in a critique of this teacher (I did that only to try to answer your question "why" ), but, you might say, engaged in trying to iterate a 'smallest'  unit of analysis. Making sense is worked on in a certain way in this classroom and I find that interesting. My gut feeling (as a mathematics teacher and doer of mathematics) is there is the possibility of 'more' to such work. The question I have for myself is can I characterize (and I have chosen to do the characterization hermeneutically) this 'more' in a respectful, coherent, and useful fashion. So the important point is, for this teacher, teaching 'making sense' seems to include teaching students how to manage those bodily senses relevant to a mathematics problem,  how to produce meaning from a mathematics problem, and how to develop a view of a mathematics problem that is shared by a community (these somewhat reflect the processes you mention, which are not unimportant, but neither are those processes necessarily 'mathematical'). In the next section of the paper, I question this viewpoint of mine so as to iterate.

Ed