[Xmca-l] Re: Gendered Access in Crafting and Electronics Practices

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 00:24:07 PDT 2014

I have a bunch of rather silly questions, and then a comment about the
interpretation of the data.

p. 280: Why do we assume that nonverbal handing money to a cashier or
handing a birthday present to a friend is an unspoken agreement? It is
certainly true that the nonverbal component of the interaction may be
abstracted away from it. But there are actually very few nonverbal
handings, of either money or birthday presents, that would have the
same meaning. Isn't it more useful to consider that speech can play
varying degrees of importance in an interactioni (e.g. it can be
"ancillary" where the commodity being exchanged is goods or services
and it is essential when, as is normally the case in both handing
money to a cashier and handing a birthday present to a friend,
information is exchanged as well?

p. 283: Puppets are unusual in that, unlike socks, they necessarily
have symbolic meaning (that is, a sock puppet that is not a symbol for
some imaginary character is a sock and not a puppet). Was there any
character that went with the sock puppets? Was there any story that
went with the character? If so, where did the story come from, and was
there any jockeying for control over the story? Note the titillating
potential of characters that "light up" when they touch! Did this
create any visible titillation for embarrassment?

p. 283: I can sort of follow why stitching, knotting, and threading
might be gendered (a kind of washback from the world of work, I
suppose). Why gluing?

p. 289: Why does Amber refer to Antoine as "Nicholas"?

p. 293: The first sentence of the section "Hands-On Materials as
Gendered Access" refers to "two focal girls". Is this a mistake, or am
I missing somebody?

And my comment. It seems to me that a lot of studies (not this one in
particular but many studies of this type in general) tend to view
gendered access as a matter of gendered access to property or power or
both. But this is very often an adult view; we adults are obsessed
with power and property and we assume that it is only right that
children are. Isn't it possible that to the children what is really
gendered is access to aesthetic concepts versus access to technical
expertise? Both orientations address the tension between form and
material, but they address it from very different sides and are
ultimately indispensible to each other (which is notoriously not the
case with disputes over property and power). Note, however, that when
the teacher says that it is decorating that is the fun part, the
teacher is biasing the children towards the aesthetic and away from
the technical!)

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies