[Xmca-l] Re: In defense of Vygotsky [[The fallacy of word-meaning]

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Thu Oct 23 10:56:47 PDT 2014

Hi Larry,

I am grateful for your contribution. I did not know about these generative connections between Bakhtin, Vygotsky, and Wertsch's "mediated action."

Thank you for your illumination. :)

The matter of conflict between *one true meaning* and "multifarious meaning* is easy to detect. In fact it is so easy that what I want to know is why does the conflict exist? Is it only political expedience that drives *one true meaning*? Are there other reasons?

Annalisa

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2014 12:42 AM
To: Andy Blunden; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: In defense of Vygotsky [[The fallacy of word-meaning]

Annelia,
thanks for pursuing your understanding of Leontiev and ANDY'S
clarifications.

This last post suggesting ANL understands *meaning* AS the ONE TRUE MEANING
of something which fails to include meanings can be contested because of
heterogeneity in society, different classes, genders, etc. seems to be a
radical departure from Wertsch's exploration of *mediated action* .
Mediated action refers to the complementary understandings of Vygotsky AND
BAKHTIN.
Bakhtin's notion of *genres* seems to be moving in a radically different
trajectory from how Leontiev's activity theory is being explained.

HETEROGENEITY and *multivoicedness of utterances* challenges any notion of
*one true* collectively understood *meaning*

Radically different trajectories.