[Xmca-l] Re: In defense of Vygotsky [[The fallacy of word-meaning]

Patrick Jaki patrick.jaki@gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 07:16:21 PDT 2014

Andy on "The ability to correctly reproduce things like 4+7=11 is not in my
experience any evidence that a child has grasped what + or = means ..."
Yes, teachers have taught these symbols with finality because that is what
the syllabus says. In other words, as absolute that will
remains fossilized in meaning.  If I recall correctly, my friend wrote his
masters project in mathematics on the equal sign.  It was an eye opener.

--
*Patrick Jaki*

*P. O Box 505 WitsJohannesburg2050South Africa*