[Xmca-l] Re: units of analysis? LSV versus ANL

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Sun Oct 19 07:16:39 PDT 2014

Greg,

There are many phenomena that can be looked at from more than one perspective. Indeed, to understand a complex system (and a computer is a complex mechanical system) one really needs to look at it from several perspectives. Think of LSV looking at consciousness from the perspective of the relation between thinking and speaking, but emphasizing that other viewpoints are possible.

However, the dualism that LSV was concerned to avoid is *ontological* dualism: the assumption that there two fundamental *kinds* of entity: mental entities, and material entities. There are many entities in a computer - hard drives, integrated circuits, processes with threads, users with privileges. But they are all have a material basis.

Let me drivel on a little, since I know that you and others have been reading Latour's book "modes of existence."  Latour explores the distinct modes of existence in different social institutions - science, religion, law... It might seem that he is even worse than dualist, because he recognizes not only 2 kinds of entity but multiple kinds. To figure out why this is not the case one needs to go back into the history of this a bit, as Latour does. The Moderns (enlightenment philosophers and scientists, and their many followers, including most of psychology) rejected a religious view of the world that saw it as full with meaning and value. They "disenchanted" the world, insisting that the physical universe is simply matter in motion. Value, meaning, were all in the mind. In short, they had a very shriveled view of the material, a very 'strict materialism.'  A very 'idealized' view of matter, one might say. To 'preserve' value and meaning - and even causation, which many of them considered a judgment not a real process - they tried to situate these in another place, as another *kind* of entity. This brought them into all sorts of problems (some of which LSV catalogs in Crisis).

But as Andy asked, what can "material" mean when mind is material? Latour describes the problem:

"It would not be wrong to define the Moderns as those who believe they are materialists and are driven to despair by this belief. To reassure them, it would not make much sense to turn toward the mind, that is, toward all the efforts they have deployed as a last resort, all the lost causes (and causes are indeed at issue here!) in order to situate their values in 'other dimensions,' as they say—dimensions other than that of 'strict materialism' since matter, as we are beginning to understand, is the most idealist of the products of the mind"  (p. 105)

,,,and then sketches the solution:

"To become materialists for real, we are going to have to instill in materialism a bit of ontological *realism*, counting on *many* beings, well-nourished, fattened up, plump-cheeked" (p. 177)

We need, Latour says, to learn how to become "authentic materialists." For Latour this means getting rid of the notions of 'mind' and of 'mental representations.' LSV's approach is a little different, it is to redefine mind as itself a material entity...

Martin