[Xmca-l] Re: units of analysis? LSV versus ANL

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sat Oct 18 14:07:23 PDT 2014

Hi Holli--

As you can see from the discussion, agreement is not easy to come by when
trying to nail down some key distinctions in the CHAT tradition (including
whether or not it is a good idea to combine CH and AT!).

Re you question about action/activity I am attaching a paper by Jim Wertsch
that focuses on action. He has an interesting discussion of his views vis a
vis Leontiev in his book on LSV and the Social Foundations of Mind. But
sending people off to read books tends to produce an
infinite regress in the local conversation, so maybe an article at your
fingertips will help.

Both Jim and Vladmir Zinchenko have argued, as Jim puts it in the title of
this article, for "the primacy of mediated action" (adding action "in
context") to the formulation. Others, such as Yrjo Engestrom have argued
that "the activity is the context"). Whichever way you go, I think a common
thread is the need to take a relation stance -- action-in-relation to
(activity/context).
Thinking relationally is tough (relatively)[?]

I hope this is useful.
mike

--
It is the dilemma of psychology to deal with a natural science with an
object that creates history. Ernst Boesch.