[Xmca-l] Ernst Boesch

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 14:51:56 PDT 2014

 Mike:

I'm writing the foreword for our new Vygotsky volume (number SIX!),
and I was struck by the quote from Ernst Boesch that you lately use in
your e-mails.

"It is the dilemma of psychology to deal with a natural science with
an object that creates history."

It's an epigraph I've read several times--I think you cite it in
Cultural Psych, and also in something you wrote in the CUP volume that
Luis Moll edited, Vygotsky and Education. I remember reading a
marvelous article by him on the history of the violin in the CUP
volume that MCA did in the twilight years of the last century; he knew
about, and fully appreciated, the Chinese contribution to the
instrument. When I googled the name, I discovered that he had died in
July of this year.

Can you tell us something about him? For starters, where exactly does
that epigraph come from?

Thanks,

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies