[Xmca-l] Re: units of analysis?

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Mon Oct 13 18:50:53 PDT 2014

I think you need to be careful to distinguish between "situation" and "social situation of development," Andy. LSV is very consistent in proposing that adult and child live in the same world, but relate to it differently.  To repeat the excerpt I quoted earlier: LSV writes of "the same environmental conditions" and "the same situation"...

"How can one explain why exactly the same environmental conditions exert three different types of influence on these three different children? It can be explained because each of the children has a different attitude to the situation. Or, as we might put it, each of the children experienced the situation in a different way. .... So it appears that, depending on the fact that the same situation had been experienced by the three children in three different ways, the influence which this situation exerted on their development also turns out to be different."

While in the Problem of Age he writes...

"We must admit that at the beginning of each age period, there develops a completely original, exclusive, single, and unique relation, specific to the given age, between the child and reality, mainly the social reality, that surrounds him. We call this relation the social situation of development at the given age."

.. and that "the social situation of development is nothing other than a system of relations between the child of a given age and social reality."

He is consistent: there is *one* social reality, one world. But different ways of relating to that reality.

Martin