[Xmca-l] Re: units of analysis?

Alfredo Gil Jornet a.g.jornet@iped.uio.no
Mon Oct 13 12:25:55 PDT 2014

Martin,
thanks, I agree. Vygotsky is very clear in the quote that you provide, and in the rest of the text, I believe. Yet, I still think that Dewey's explicit articulation of the specific use of the term *situation*, which is consistent with the way Vygotsky uses it, is not just redundant here but helps to clarify how a word (*situation*) that can be loosely used in everyday talk may have a quite determinate sense when we talk about the problem of the environment; and be of help when two people disagree on whether we can talk of "the same" environment or not.

Alfredo
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Martin John Packer <mpacker@uniandes.edu.co>
Sent: 13 October 2014 20:47
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: units of analysis?

Hi Alfredo,

I don't really see a dilemma... and I think LSV is pretty clear:

"How can one explain why exactly the same environmental conditions exert three different types of influence on these three different children? It can be explained because each of the children has a different attitude to the situation. Or, as we might put it, each of the children experienced the situation in a different way. .... So it appears that, depending on the fact that the same situation had been experienced by the three children in three different ways, the influence which this situation exerted on their development also turns out to be different."

Martin