[Xmca-l] Re: units of analysis?

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Oct 12 22:42:31 PDT 2014

As Julian said, a perezhivanie is a "unity of the person and their
environment," that is, a unity (or relation) between a mind (for it is
not the soma we are talking about, but the personality) and the material
world outside the skin, between internal and external, mind and matter,
objective and subjective.
To say "relation" makes it sound a lot less like a contradiction. To say
"unity" brings out the contradiction, because subjective and objective,
mind and matter, are opposites and supposedly cannot be united. But
united they are, in the formation of the personality and in experiences.
"United" because it is a real process, not just a relation. "Unity" is
the right term, but those of us who have been raised on Set Theory and
Formal Logic, to ensure that it is not too offensive to our common
sense, it is best to say "relation".

The contradiction is also in what I said before: it entails the whole of
the person and the whole of the environment/world (5thD and the Iraq
War), and yet it is a quite specific and finite relation (it didn't
involve the War in Rwanda). It involves the whole world because it could
involve *anything* in the world; the environment is unbounded. It
involves the whole person because it is an experience of a person, not
of an emotion or any other post facto abstraction. And yet, its impact
is quite specific.
It involves the whole person, and yet it is wrong to say that it is a
unity of cognition and affect, because it is a whole, and only as a
result of reflection (auto- or hetero-) can moments of cognition,
affect, attention, be isolated.
Is that enough "contradictions" for you, Mike?
Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/