[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 18:16:40 PDT 2014

On 12 October 2014 03:40, Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Huw,
> Can you give us a little more about the Nagel introduction? How does Nagel
> make that error?

He critiques the predicate of the change (or difference) that Dewey asserts
in the process of investigation/inquiry.  Nagel's consideration of this
change was merely the instrumental imposition rather than recognising the
construal of the object as a construction and a difference.  From his
writing it was apparent to me that he misses this.  The peculiarity is that
this is the introduction to Dewey's volume on logic as inquiry.

> And if you happen to have an extra moment, I wonder if you could say a bit
> about HOW Dewey makes the case for objects not existing prior to being
> made-as-such?

Well, I haven't dug very far.  But its fairly clear from his letter that it
is part of the process of inquiry, i.e. that one proposes the objects that
one studies in the process of addressing a real problem upon which the
inquiry is based.

> I've been chatting elsewhere with Jay Lemke and others about
> Bruno Latour's and Tim Ingold's separate uses of "correspondence" in ways
> that go against the classical notions of "correspondence" as in
> correspondence theory (i.e. the measure of the value of a science is the
> extent to which it corresponds to reality).

Well, in the little I've read Dewey argued that social science exceeds
natural science in certain dimensions of concreteness (if I remember
correctly).  But I think he was writing of a pre-quantum physics.  As a
mode of inquiry coherence would, I am surmising, be more valued than
"correspondence" -- afterall, correspondence with what?

> I'm wondering how these views might be different from Dewey's take on the
> matter (in a lot of ways, I'm sure, but also similar in others). But I
> haven't read Dewey lately or with these ideas in mind and I could use a leg
> up...

I don't know how they relate to your other theorists on correspondence.
But I do know you won't get very far by orientation alone.  By orientation,
all you get to do is shake and feel the parcel (paraphrasing Hector from
"The History Boys").  From what I can tell, Dewey would advocate getting
technical with your authentic problem (which you would absolutely have to
do to use it productively) and recognise that the problem of interest is
part of the root of your inquiry.  Perhaps not the "leg up" you were hoping
for!

Best,
Huw