[Xmca-l] Re: units of analysis?

Vera John-Steiner vygotsky@unm.edu
Sun Oct 12 15:39:27 PDT 2014

Julian,

I like your analysis, it makes perezhivanje more accessible in this framework,

Vera

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Julian Williams
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2014 3:56 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: units of analysis?

Tonyan

I think the model of 'unit'  for LSV after KM is the commodity, which captures the essential contradiction within capitalism, ... between use and exchange, producer and consumer (mediated by capital)... Marx thought that this unit could provide the source of the whole system, and it's demise. The demise/sublation of the contradiction inherent in the commodity is the disappearance of capital/money. Which we all await... But don't hold your breath...

Anyway the point is the unit holds the essential contradiction, without which nothing transpires...

So .. perezhivanije captures in a unit the contradiction between the (objectivity of the) environment (the abusive mother) and the child's subjectivity of this experience (emotional experience, crisis) mediating and mediated by the child's development, 'among other things' ... The child's development has to be understood as moving, the contradiction between their understanding and their emotional experience is the dialectic of development.

 The objective content of the abuse is as relevant to perezhivanije as the child's development (they are in contradiction?) in explaining/understanding  the dynamics of 'experience' and development. The sublation/resolution of the contradiction - if it occurs- perhaps involves a development in which the emotional crisis becomes understood by the abused child in a new way that relieves the guilt, stress etc.

Is that the connection?

Julian

Sent from my iPad