[Xmca-l] units of analysis?

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Oct 12 04:50:24 PDT 2014

Katie, picking up on your concern about units of analysis, it was one of
the points I mentioned in my "report" from ISCAR, that this concept was
almost lost to us. A phrase I heard a lot, and which was new for me, was
"unit to be analysed." If anyone knows the origin of this expression,
I'd be interested in hearing. It seemed to me that what it referred to
was a "closed system" for analysis, that is, abandoning CHAT methodology
whilst keeping the word. If I am mistaken about this, please let me know.

The other thing is that discovering a unit of analysis is an *insight*.
It is not something that can be achieved by following a template, it is
the breakthrough in your research into some problem, the leap. It
usually comes *after* you've collected all the data for your research
using some other unit of analysis. In Kuhn's terms, discovery of the
unit is the new paradigm, after which it is just a matter of solving
puzzles. So for graduate students to use the concept of unit in their
research, often depends on the wisdom of teh direction they get from
their supervisor. I don't know how many PhD students I've met who have
got to this point in their thesis and discover that the data they have
is not the data they now know they need.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/