[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

Vera John-Steiner vygotsky@unm.edu
Sat Oct 11 20:46:37 PDT 2014

To the many silent readers as well as the frequent participants,

When I first read the subject of our current stream "how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion" I had high hopes that we will
find ways to touch on peoples' concerns and interests in an effective way. But the discussion has turned out to be limited
to a few people and has become increasingly conceptual/definitional. Those are necessary parts of our joint endeavor, but
they close off rather than encourage broad participation. We have done well when we chose a particular article or book or experience
(I was grateful to get some glimpses of the recent ISCAR conference from Andy and David) as a shared focus. I was tempted to enter
the discussion on private speech but I was worried that we will go over our disagreements only and will leave out what to some of
us is a fertile topic for both research and theory. (Mike and Henry shared some of their experience of how they planned their
thoughts with an xmca audience in mind. I hesitated when I wrote the colloquial expression "in mind.") Are we starting to inhibit
each other when we touch contested ground? Perhaps we need to focus on our process as part of this theme.

If I did not value deeply what xmca offers to me, now that I no longer have daily contact with colleagues and students, I would not
have written this message.

Vera

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2014 9:16 PM
To: Dr. Paul C. Mocombe
Cc: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

Paul, I used the word "impress" in the sense of "make an impression on me". I mean, how does it cause me to see the fallacy of genetic methodology in the CHAT tradition to hear that an American analytical philosopher gets tied in knots trying to do something you see as similar?
Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/