[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 16:05:24 PDT 2014

My own excursion has been to explore writings relating to Dewey (simply
something I had out off and found time to explore).  Which, it turns out,
are (to my reading) another pithy way to express the logical problems I was
reading in David's narrative.  But this might be because I already
"understand" the problem.

Anyway, the interesting writings were "A letter from Dewey" that is in the
appendix of "Knowing and Known" and Ernest Nagel's introduction to Dewey's
"Logic: The Theory of Inquiry".

One of the rather interesting things about reading Nagel's introduction, is
that he makes an ontological error that Dewey referred to in his letter (I
believe).  The error was that an "object" (not its referent) is
existentially existent beyond and before its social construction.
Something that we CHAT enthusiasts should be familiar with.

Nevertheless (as a psychologist) I am interested in the truth of errors,
and Nagel's introduction was certainly helpful in enlivening the prospect
of the 500 page volume (vol. 12 of the later works).  Of course, I could be
naively wrong about it, but all the pieces line up for me here, including
some passages that are remarkably aligned with DE / El'konin-Davydov theory.

Best,
Huw