[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 17:26:50 PDT 2014

Mike:

(Just a quick note. I'm rushing off to our weekly Vygotsky
seminar--we're finishing up the first volume of the Lectures on
Pedology in which "The Problem of the Environment" appears in its
natural environment!)

I think another way in which Mr. Bae's analogy between Marx's
treatment of the commodity and Vygotsky's treatment of the word
meaning is helpful is that we linguists are prone to word fetishism in
the same way that bourgeois economists are prone to commodity
fetishism. That is, we tend to think of word meaning as a
thing-for-itself rather than as a relation between real people or a
relation between a person and a self.

So--just think of yourself READING the conversation on XMCA. Of course
you are thinking in word meanings; you can practically hear my voice
as you are reading these words. But if you time how long it takes you
to read these words, you will find that it takes far less time than it
would for me to say them, much less write them. So you can't actually
be hearing my voice or even mentally voicing my words. What exactly is
going on?

What is going on is actually what goes on in listening and speaking
all the time without us really noticing it. We hit the high points of
what people are saying (which are often indicated by indexical means,
by intonation and by facial expression) and we absolutely ignore the
rest. This is why it's so hard to recall the exact wording of what
someone says in any accurate way. Thinking WITH word meanings is very
different from thinking word-meaning-by-word-meaning; it's the
difference between playing a piano with both your hands and playing it
with two fingers.

But thinking with word meanings is still very different from the way a
toddler or even a preschooler thinks. When a parent takes a child to
meet a preschool teacher, the child will forget the name of the
preschool teacher but remember the color and texture of her clothes,
and even the smell of her hands. With the parent, isn't it much more
likely to be the other way around?

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
.